Write Directly to Hard Drive [INACTIVE]

BrazilFW 2.xhelp discussions in English.

Write Directly to Hard Drive

Mensagempor kc0idi » Qua Fev 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Is there a way to write directly to the hard drive? I would like to use the ctorrent addon and then place the downloaded file in the hard drive.

I also tired writing to partiton but it appeared to just be writing to memory.
kc0idi

Re: Write Directly to Hard Drive

Mensagempor bobbb » Qui Fev 12, 2009 12:15 am

Command mt will load the harddrive on /mnt and then you can write to it.

Is this what you mean?
bobbb

Mensagempor kc0idi » Qui Fev 12, 2009 12:25 am

I tried that too and got the same result. The hda2 is mounted to /partition and yet I keep seeing the amount of memory used rise as I download.
kc0idi

Mensagempor bobbb » Qui Fev 12, 2009 1:26 am

Then when the download finishes where is the file?

I thought the file downloaded to the current working directory. I presumed that if I were on /partition or /mnt at the console prompt that a wget (or whatever) would use the CWD as the target.
bobbb

Mensagempor kc0idi » Sex Fev 13, 2009 11:12 am

When the download is finished it is in the /partition and memory use says at 98%. I thought if I did a backup it would then write to the partition and clear the memory. VERY BAD IDEA! It gave me an error message say the disk is full (there is no way a 200MB file would fill a 30GB partiton). So I figured I'd try a reboot to see if it cleared my probelms. YET ANOTHER VERY BAD IDEA! Since the backup didn't work correctly, several files were corrupted, included files needed by PPPoE. I ended up having to go to the site and manually reload BZFW. I couldn't get there for about 8 hours and had some very upset people.
kc0idi

Mensagempor bobbb » Sex Fev 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I couldn't get there for about 8 hours and had some very upset people.
OUCH, I can imagine. Got burnt by rule number 1.

Will give this a try in my lab.
bobbb

Mensagempor bobbb » Dom Fev 15, 2009 2:45 am

I gave this a try and it works correctly.
I did these commands:
Código: Selecionar todos
mt
cd /mnt
wget http://server.com/image/image.jpg

and it was written to the hard drive.
bobbb

Mensagempor kc0idi » Seg Fev 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I got the same result as you did when using a small file. I run into problems when I download files that are close to the size of available memory or larger.
kc0idi

Mensagempor bobbb » Ter Fev 17, 2009 2:17 am

I seem to remember that problem too but got around it somehow. Will have try to remember how. Got a 99MB file onto /mnt in order to do benchmarks. It's still there.
bobbb

Mensagempor bobbb » Ter Fev 17, 2009 7:28 pm

OK, here is how I did it. Don't know how useful this will be for you. I used the PuTTY complement program call pscp to copy a 32MB file to /mnt
I did this just now so I presume this is how I did my 90MB file also.

First you establish a connection (port 22 standard) to BFW. Either the WAN IP or the LAN IP. If the WAN then SSH must be enabled on the WAN.

At the console menu type q and hit enter
Now mt to mount the hard drive

pscp does not need that you open a console session with your BFW but you need to mount the drive so... There may be a way to issue commands remotely with plink but I was not able.
The format of the command is:
pscp large.jpg root@192.168.0.1:/mnt/large.jpg

and it will ask you for the root password.
bobbb

Mensagempor cmartin » Sáb Fev 21, 2009 11:33 am

you can use samba addon to put/get files from /partition.
then you dont need to use scp or putty for that.
cmartin

Mensagempor bobbb » Sáb Fev 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Let me say this again. This is BrazilFW Firewall and Router.

Its job is to protect the perimeter of your LAN like a security team you hire to protect your property. This is the only job it (they) should do. This ia not a utility machine to run all kinds of applications on.

Scenario: (to the security team) "Hey guys, the day is slow; would you mind delivering the mail. Oh, and file these documents in the cabinets and ...do the dishes too and mop the floors." In the meantime someone is jumping the fence in the back of the property but your guy does not have his eyes on the cameras or is outside the room puting fiolders in the cabinet.

Anything else you add to your security system that is not related to security is somethiing that can be compromised. The last thing you want is a comproised security system.

You want a utility machine, build a Ubuntu or Suse or whatever flavour of Linux you like; or put in a 2k/XP server.
bobbb

Mensagempor cmartin » Sáb Fev 21, 2009 5:56 pm

bobbb escreveu:Let me say this again. This is BrazilFW Firewall and Router.

Its job is to protect the perimeter of your LAN like a security team you hire to protect your property. This is the only job it (they) should do. This ia not a utility machine to run all kinds of applications on.

Scenario: (to the security team) "Hey guys, the day is slow; would you mind delivering the mail. Oh, and file these documents in the cabinets and ...do the dishes too and mop the floors." In the meantime someone is jumping the fence in the back of the property but your guy does not have his eyes on the cameras or is outside the room puting fiolders in the cabinet.

Anything else you add to your security system that is not related to security is somethiing that can be compromised. The last thing you want is a comproised security system.

You want a utility machine, build a Ubuntu or Suse or whatever flavour of Linux you like; or put in a 2k/XP server.

You are right, I know very well,
but many ppl cannot afford another machine running on the network just to act as a file server.
At least happened to me, so I had to build this addon.

[]'s
cmartin

Mensagempor kc0idi » Seg Fev 23, 2009 6:46 pm

While I discovered this issue while trying ctorrent, something outside the scope of the router, I think I does identify an issue that does effect the operation of the firewall and router. I also noticed this problem with Squid using it to cache and with RRD stats.

RRD stats doesn't seem to write to the partition. It seems to loose data when the machine is restarted. Running backup does not cause RRD to write. When backup and then reboot is ran, data is lost.

When running Squid, the memory fills up until the firewall and router is unable to operate properly. I do not see any indication that data from Squid is actually being written to disk, as when the machine is restarted, memory is cleared but the cached data in the partition does not seem to be any larger than when Squid was first installed.

I think both these issues have to do with the ctorrent and wget issues. I have not tried to see if this problem also occurs with samba as I don't have much use for samba at this time.
kc0idi

Voltar para BrazilFW 2.x - English Forum