BrazilFW on Xen? [INACTIVE]

BrazilFW 2.xhelp discussions in English.

BrazilFW on Xen?

Mensagempor lorenzo » Qua Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

I've been having trouble with my vmware server lately, so I'm trying out xen. I have the networking and everything set up, but I get a kernel panic after I install BrazilFW and try to boot it. is there a reason why it doesn't work? is there a work around? I saw screenshots on here someplace of someone running 3.x on xen, but I don't think that version is ready for a production server. is there any way I can get this to work, 2.x on xen?

I have an athlon 64 4850, 8gb ram, centos 5.4, cable modem.
lorenzo

Re: BrazilFW on Xen?

Mensagempor subcomandante » Qui Jan 21, 2010 2:31 am

lorenzo escreveu:I've been having trouble with my vmware server lately, so I'm trying out xen. I have the networking and everything set up, but I get a kernel panic after I install BrazilFW and try to boot it. is there a reason ywhy it doesn't work? is there a work around? I saw screenshots on here someplace of someone running 3.x on xen, but I don't think that version is ready for a production server. is there any way I can get this to work, 2.x on xen?

I have an athlon 64 4850, 8gb ram, centos 5.4, cable modem.

Hi Lorenzo, sorry for my poor english.
Brazilfw 2.x works fine on xen, the following is a link to a tutorial in Spanish
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=65708&p=147798&hilit=xen#p147798
[/url]
I suppose you use linux, if you use ubuntu or red hat why not try brazilfw 3.x running under KVM. I think it would be a good combination.
Greetings.
subcomandante

Mensagempor gamba47 » Qui Jan 21, 2010 10:17 am

I use XEN.

I try with KVM but i have kernel panic. this was at least one year ago.

It´s a good idea from subcomandante.

Regards. gamba47
gamba47
BFW Beneméritos

BrazilFW Box: Pentium4 1256mb RAM HD 200gb
BrazilFW 3.0.237 without Squid
3 ADSLs & 1 Cablemodem
50 Users & more!

Mensagempor lorenzo » Qui Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm

thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear more people are setting up routers virtually. it's a sweet setup once it's working.

I looked at that pdf. I can't read spanish, but it might be useful if I knew what to look for. does it have to be set up on a virtual floppy or something? I think it might have to do with mounting a fat partition.

is 3.x usable? I installed it the other day but it looked like many parts of it were still broken or incomplete. maybe it was just something else broken.
lorenzo

Mensagempor gamba47 » Qui Jan 21, 2010 2:58 pm

I install on XEN:

BrazilFW 2.30
BrazilFW 2.31.10
BrazilFW 2.32RC
BrazilFW 3.0.x

Everythings works fine.

Take a look at this PDF it will help you a lot. You only need to create one Virtual Machine the rest are the same.

Best regards. gamba47
gamba47
BFW Beneméritos

3 ADSLs & 1 Cablemodem
50 Users & more!

Mensagempor lorenzo » Qui Jan 21, 2010 3:20 pm

gamba47 escreveu:Take a look at this PDF it will help you a lot. You only need to create one Virtual Machine the rest are the same.

is there an english version?

I was setting up the vm using the gui tool (vm manager or something) when I kept getting the kernel panic.
lorenzo

Mensagempor gamba47 » Qui Jan 21, 2010 3:32 pm

There is no english version. Sorry

Maybe i can help you.

Post all steps on the creation. From Installing XEN to Create the VM

Best regards.
gamba47
BFW Beneméritos

3 ADSLs & 1 Cablemodem
50 Users & more!

Mensagempor lorenzo » Sáb Jan 23, 2010 3:03 am

gamba47 escreveu:Maybe i can help you. Post all steps on the creation. From Installing XEN to Create the VM

I started typing up my post to you, detailing how I installed xen, while doing a fresh install for the 50th time this week, I think it's working this time. I'm not doing anything different, it just started working. I have some more testing to do yet, but it is booting ok now. thank you for the help and quick replies. I hope the rest goes smoothly.
lorenzo

Mensagempor lorenzo » Sáb Jan 23, 2010 3:45 am

how do you set up your wan bridge? I have a cable modem, so it gets an ip address from dhcp. I've messed with it a while and tried what I can think of, but I can't get a wan ip in brazilfw. how do I get an ip on the virtual nic, but not let the host os affect it? in vmware the trick was to enable the real nic on the host but give it a fake static ip so it was on a different subnet and wouldn't bother the connection or cause a security hole. I've tried this in xen, and I tried unchecking the box to auto activate on boot, but no success yet.
lorenzo

Mensagempor gamba47 » Sáb Jan 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Lorenzo. That´s was a problem to me too.

When i restart my xen i never receive IP from DHCP.

I have to shutdown the modem and restart again to get a new IP address with the MAC of the VM.

I never restart my XEN. I have an uptime of 133 days and 12hs

gamba47
gamba47
BFW Beneméritos

3 ADSLs & 1 Cablemodem
50 Users & more!

Mensagempor lorenzo » Seg Jan 25, 2010 1:51 am

after lots of weird problems, they seem to have cleared and it's working fairly well. I tried monowall for a few days. it's not bad, I like the built in captive portal, but built in shell access really sucks. BrazilFW 2.31, still the best around for my needs. I have now tamed the vmware and xen beasts.
lorenzo

Voltar para BrazilFW 2.x - English Forum