TZ Daylight saving time syntax and format [INACTIVE]

BrazilFW 2.xhelp discussions in English.

TZ Daylight saving time syntax and format

Mensagempor mrgreen » Qui Mar 26, 2009 8:00 am

I realized today that BrazilFW is using the old Daylight Savings Time start/stop dates. These dates have been changed twice in N/A in the past few years, but it seems BFW doesn't have a way to update this. DST started in early March this year, but since BFW doesn't think it starts till April, it is showing an hour earlier than it really is. Other Linux platforms have tables for DST in /usr/share/zoneinfo, which can be modified or new versions downloaded, but BFW doesn't seem to have anything equivalent. I suspect making this work would involve changing /etc/localtime, or using "ln" to point it to a different localtime file, but I don't know how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas about modifying the dates that DST is turned on and off?

BTW... I know I can just change the time zone as a temporary workaround, but that is not a "set and forget" solution.
mrgreen

Re: New N/A DST dates

Mensagempor Giljorak » Dom Abr 05, 2009 3:18 am

In the Time Zone field on the Administrative Config page enter one the following depending on your timezone:

Código: Selecionar todos
EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
CST6CDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

More info: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1000252
Giljorak

Mensagempor mrgreen » Dom Abr 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks for the info, and the link, which explains the values used. Obviously that page is for AIX, has it been confirmed that the same syntax works for BrazilFW?
mrgreen

Mensagempor bobbb » Dom Abr 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Have tested this format and go no results. OOPs tested on my live system 2.30.1 Let me test on 2.31

It does work. I did it backwards. Read the info from a site in New Zealand and they are reversed of course. So I never posted.
bobbb

Mensagempor Giljorak » Seg Abr 06, 2009 8:37 pm

mrgreen escreveu:Thanks for the info, and the link, which explains the values used. Obviously that page is for AIX, has it been confirmed that the same syntax works for BrazilFW?

Works great with BrazilFW. I have been using the MST7MDT setting since they started the new dst rules.
Giljorak

Mensagempor mrgreen » Seg Abr 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks, it appears to be working for me too, but I won't know for sure until the end of DST (I'm too lazy right now to mess with my system clock.) Methinks this should be a sticky.
mrgreen

Mensagempor bobbb » Ter Abr 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Methinks this should be a sticky
Can you explain how or why it is important what date and time the router has? I can see it if it is also a NTP server to your LAN.
bobbb

Mensagempor mrgreen » Ter Abr 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my main problem with the router clock being off is that the system log will also be wrong. Trying to find out when a PC connects, what time your internet gateway went down (for tech support calls to your ISP), or when other strange network activity occurs will be affected if the router is recording events with the wrong timestamp. Certain performance/security monitoring add-ons would also be adversely affected if BrazilFW's system clock is off by an hour. Sure, you can mentally make the correction if you know your router is not handling DST properly, but it would be better to just fix the problem at the source.
mrgreen

Mensagempor bobbb » Ter Abr 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Good enough. I simply adjusted. (or put another way I never have problems so I never look at it.)
If only I had read the specs you would have had an answer the day you posted. I used A NZ post, adjusted it to EST and concluded it was not implemented.

Sticky now and changed title
bobbb

Re: TZ Daylight saving time syntax and format

Mensagempor dexter18 » Seg Ago 10, 2009 10:43 am

Hi everybody! Long time no see!
My brazilfw is not configure for my coresponding time zone: Bucharest. What time zone abreviation should I use.
Thanq you!
dexter18

Re: TZ Daylight saving time syntax and format

Mensagempor dexter18 » Ter Ago 11, 2009 9:56 am

After I search over google, I found this:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/CT/ag4.0/appendid.htm

After restart brazil, was necesary to make corection on hardware clock of the router mainbord to.
dexter18

Voltar para BrazilFW 2.x - English Forum