from Build-tree to customized ISO [INACTIVE]

Here we discuss compilation and how to build an addon for BFW.

from Build-tree to customized ISO

Mensagempor fw_user » Ter Dez 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I have asked the question couple weeks ago but no reply so far. So please forgive me if I am persistent:

I did some customization work to the 2.29 BFW system, basically trying to figure out a way to improve the hardware compatibility. I had a few problems installing the BFW on some newer machines, specifically the hard drive and USB give me trouble.

Now I made the changes and wanted to create an ISO from the 2.29 build-tree. However, I have no idea how to do it.

So can anyone please help me with this?

Claudio, when you get a chance, could you give me a hand on this?

Thanks in advance. ...
fw_user

Mensagempor Claudio » Qua Dez 27, 2006 7:53 am

I really don't know how to do this, too.

The build tree doesn't have a kernel. It was made to run on top of a full linux distro.
I guess you need to read some tutorial about how to build a linux from the scratch.
Não dou suporte via mensagem privada e e-mail.
Por favor, não insista.
Claudio
BFW Founder
BFW Beneméritos

BrazilFW Box:

Mensagempor fw_user » Qui Dez 28, 2006 2:05 am

Thanks for the reply.

Another question that's related, how do you create the CDROm version for the BrazilFW?

If you can give me some procedure on that, that would be very helpful!

Thanks.
fw_user

Mensagempor Claudio » Qui Dez 28, 2006 8:21 pm

This text was from an site i had on the old coyote times.
You will need a kernel with cd-rom support enabled, just use the kernel of ide instalation floppy (the linux file).

How to Make a Coyote Linux Bootable CD

Why to do that?
- You might have your own reasons. I think to put Coyote Linux in a CD is a very bad idea.

What do you need?
- A Working Coyote LInux 2.10 or above floppy.
- A Coyote Linux kernel compiled with IDE and CD-ROM support enabled (Download it here)
- A blank CD-R
- A good software to burn your bootable CD. In this document I used Nero - Burning Rom.

Step 0 - Understanding what we will make
Any good cd-rom burning software can make a bootable cd by taking a image of a boot floppy. When this cd is used the floppy image will be used by some kind of floppy emulator. However Coyote can't read its package files from this image so we have to include the .tgz files to the root of cd-rom too and we have to add the ability to read this cd to the kernel of Coyote.
The only .tgz file that will be read from floppy image is the root.tgz all other packages will be read from cd root, so if you want to add any additional packages to coyote they don't need to be on floppy just place then on cd compilation.

Very Important: You will NOT be able to backup any change to your Coyote configurations after the cd is burned. Be sure you Coyote floppy is working and you have configured everything you want.

Step 1 - Preparing you floppy to take its image
- Make a good backup of your floppy before you start
- Download the IDE and CD-ROM enabled kernel (linux-210-cdrom), rename it to linux and replace this file at floppy.
- edit the file a:\syslinux.cfg. Navigate to the end of fourth line. You will find something like boot=/dev/fd0,vfat. Replace that with boot=/dev/hdc,iso9660
- Save the file and close the editor.

Note:
/dev/hdc means your CD drive is installed as Secondary - Master. You can change it to choose your correct IDE interface:
Primary Master = hda
Primary Slave = hdb
Secondary Master = hdc
Secondary Slave = hdd

Step 2 - Burning the CD
- Insert your just prepared Coyote Boot Floppy to the drive.
- Open Nero and start a new compilation. Choose CD-ROM (Boot).
- On tab-page Boot check the option Bootable logical drive. Uncheck the option Enable expert settings.
- Click the New button.
- From the right panel (File Browser) select the floppy drive, select all the files on this folder then drag and drop them to the left panel.
- If you want add any add-on to coyote it's time to add them to the left panel.
- Burn your cd.

Credits, Licenses, Sources and Documentation
Coyote Linux - Vortech Consulting - http://www.coyotelinux.com
Nero - Burning Rom - http://www.nero.com
Não dou suporte via mensagem privada e e-mail.
Por favor, não insista.
Claudio
BFW Founder
BFW Beneméritos

BrazilFW Box:

Voltar para Add-On Factory